World Wrestling Championship 2022: Vinesh Phogat recently became the first Indian woman wrestler to win two medals at the World Championships after clinching a bronze in 53-kilogram category in Belgrade, Serbia.
- She defeated the European champion, Emma Malmgren of Sweden.
- This is her second bronze medal at the Championships.
Medals won by Vinesh Phogat:
- She had won the 48kg gold at Glasgow 2014 and the 50kg division at Gold Coast 2018.
- She had won first bronze in the 2019 edition of the tournament at Nur-Sultan, Kazakhstan.
- She created history by winning the third consecutive gold medal in the commonwealth games.
- She is the first Indian women wrestler to win a gold medal at both the Commonwealth and Asian games.
- She won the gold medal in the women’s 53kg freestyle wrestling category at Birmingham 2022.
- She became the first Indian athlete to be nominated for Laureus World Sports Awards in 2019.
- She is the cousin of wrestlers Geetha and Babita.
- Both her cousins have won gold in 55 kg category in Commonwealth Games.
About World Wrestling Championship 2022:
- The 2022 World Wrestling Championships is the 17th edition of the World Wrestling Championships of combined events.
- It is being held between 10 and 18 September 2022 in Belgrade, Serbia.