US House Speaker Nancy Pelosi in Taiwan: U.S. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi arrived in Taiwan recently becoming the highest-ranking American official to visit the self-ruled island that is claimed by China in 25 years.
- Marking the most high-level political engagement from the U.S. to Taiwan, Pelosi arrived in Taiwan despite threats from Beijing of serious consequences.
- Her visit has triggered increased tensions between China and the United States.
- China claims Taiwan as part of its territory, to be annexed by force if necessary, and views visits by foreign government officials as recognition of the island’s sovereignty.
What is One China Principle and One China Policy?
- One China Principle is a core belief that sees Taiwan as an inalienable part of China, with its sole legitimate government in Beijing.
- However, the US acknowledges this position but not necessarily its validity.
- One China Policy meaning that the People's Republic of China (PCR) was and is the only China, with no recognition for the Republic of China (ROC, Taiwan) as a separate sovereign entity.
- At the same time, the US refuses to give in to the PRC’s demands to recognize Chinese sovereignty over Taiwan.
- The US only acknowledges the Chinese position that Taiwan is a part of China.
- The PRC follows the One China Principle while The US follows the One China Policy.
- The US has ever since maintained this stance and capitalized on the “strategic ambiguity” it generates to uphold the status quo and keep peace in the Taiwan Strait.
- Taiwan and China split in 1949 after the Communists won a civil war on the mainland.
- The U.S. maintains informal relations and defense ties with Taiwan even as it recognizes Beijing as the government of China.
- Taiwan, officially the Republic of China (ROC), is a country in East Asia, at the junction of the East and South China Seas in the northwestern Pacific Ocean, with the People's Republic of China (PRC) to the northwest, Japan to the northeast, and the Philippines to the south.
- The territories controlled by the ROC consist of 168 islands.
- The capital of Taiwan is Taipei.
- The currency used here is New Taiwan dollar.
- The current President of Taiwan is Tsai Ing-wen.
Who is Nancy Pelosi?
A) US Vice President
B) US House of Representatives Speaker
C) Defence Secretary
D) White House Chief Staff