NIPUN Initiative: An innovative project for skill training of construction workers called ‘NIPUN’ (National Initiative for Promoting Upskilling of Nirman) workers was recently launched by Shri Hardeep Singh Puri, Minister of Housing & Urban Affairs and Petroleum & Natural Gas, Government of India.
- The project NIPUN is an initiative of the MoHUA under its flagship scheme of the Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana-National Urban Livelihoods Mission (DAY-NULM).
- DAY-NULM is a Centrally Sponsored Scheme, being implemented since 2014-15, with the aim to reduce poverty and vulnerability of urban poor households in the country by enabling them to access self-employment and skilled wage employment opportunities, resulting in an appreciable improvement in their livelihoods on a sustainable basis.
Implementation of NIPUN:
- The National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC), the nodal agency under the Ministry of Skill Development & Entrepreneurship (MSDE), Government of India (GoI), will be the Implementation Partner for the project NIPUN.
The NIPUN project implementation is divided into three following parts:-
- Training through Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) at construction sites,
- Training through Fresh skilling by Plumbing and Infrastructure SSC, and
- International Placement through industries, builders, and contractors.
Aim of NIPUN:
- Its main aim is to train over 1 lakh construction workers, through fresh skilling and upskilling programmes in partnership with the NSDC under DAY-NULM.
- This project will also provide work opportunities in foreign countries.
Significance of NIPUN Project:
- By enhancing their capacities and diversifying their skill sets, this initiative will enable Nirman employees to become much more proficient and skilled while forcing them to adopt future trends in the construction business.
- It will also enable the construction workers to seek better job opportunities, increase their wages and even pursue overseas placements - an indication of a new eco-system.
- By offering upskilling and employment possibilities to urban people, especially the youth, the National Urban Livelihoods Mission has significantly reduced the vulnerability of urban poor households.
Name the body is responsible for the implementation of the NIPUN project of the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs?
A) National Skill Development Corporation
B) National Skill Training Institute
C) National Council for Vocational Education and Training
D) National Skill Development Fund