Ruchira Kamboj: The Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) recently announced that Ruchira Kamboj has been appointed as the next Permanent Representative of India to the United Nations in New York.
- Ruchira Kamboj is currently the Indian Envoy to Bhutan.
- She will succeed TS Tirumurti and is expected to take up as India’s Permanent Representative to the UN shortly.
About Ruchira Kamboj:
- She was the All India Women’s topper of the 1987 Civil Services batch and the topper of the 1987 Indian Foreign Service (IFS) batch.
- She had joined the Indian Foreign Service in the same year.
- She began her diplomatic journey in Paris, France, where she was posted as the Third Secretary in the Indian Embassy to France from 1989-91.
- She has been the Permanent Representative of India to UNESCO in Paris, and the Indian High Commissioner in South Africa.
- From 2011-2014 she was the Chief of Protocol in New Delhi.
- She is the first and only woman diplomat so far in the Indian Government to have held this position.
- She was earlier posted as the Counsellor at India’s Permanent Mission to the United Nations in New York from 2002-2005, where she had dealt with a wide range of political issues.
- She has also served in Mauritius, Cape Town in South Africa as India’s Consul General, and at the Commonwealth Secretariat in London.
Role of India’s Permanent Representative to UN:
- The Permanent Representative of India to the United Nations (UN) is the head of a country's diplomatic mission to the United Nations.
- The role of India’s Permanent Representative to UN is to represent the country in the global body on various issues.
Who has been appointed as the Permanent Representative of India to the United Nations?
A) TS Tirumurti
B) Ruchira Kamboj
C) Indra Mani Pandey
D) Kishan Dan Dewal