Rohit Sharma Captaincy Record in T20I: Indian skipper Rohit Sharma scripted a new world record by becoming the first captain in the history of cricket to win 13 successive T20 Internationals.
- Rohit achieved this feat during the first T20I match of the three-match series against England at Rose Bowl, Southampton on July 7, 2022.
- India beat England by 50 runs in the first T20I to take a 1-0 lead in the three-match T20I series.
- After taking over the captaincy from Virat Kohli, Rohit Sharma took the Men in Blue to victory against New Zealand, West Indies, Sri Lanka, and now England.
- The skipper had to miss out on India's rescheduled fifth Test against England at Birmingham after testing positive for COVID-19 and Jasprit Bumrah had led India in his absence.
- Hardik Pandya's all round performance played a key role in India's victory.
- Pandya became the first Indian player to take four wickets and score a half-century in a single T20I match.
- Rohit Sharma, Suryakumar Yadav, and Deepak Hooda also scored 24, 39, and 33 runs, respectively.
- Later, debutant Arshdeep Singh and spinner Yuzvendra Chahal scalped two wickets each while Bhuvneshwar Kumar and Harshal Patel took one a piece and restricted England at 148.
- India vs England second T20I on July 9th, Saturday at Birmingham.
Rohit Sharma breaks Virat Kohli's T20 Captaincy Record:
- Rohit Sharma has now surpassed Virat Kohli by reaching the 1000 runs mark in T20I as India captain in his 29th innings.
- He has become the second-fastest captain to achieve the feat in the world.
- Virat Kohli had held the record of being the fastest captain in the world to reach 1000 T20I runs till October 2021, when it was broken by Pakistan skipper Babar Azam.
- While Kohli had achieved the feat in 30 innings, Babar Azam achieved it in just 24 innings.