Shaurya Diwas 2022: The Union Defence Minister Shri Rajnath Singh on the 76th Infantry Day attended the Shaurya Diwas program organized by the Indian Army in Budgam.
- On October 27, 2022, the Defence Ministry organized "Shaurya Diwas" celebrations in Srinagar, Jammu & Kashmir (J&K), to mark the 75th anniversary of the Indian Army's air landing operations at Budgam Airport in 1947.
- The event was organized as part of ‘Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav’.
- J&K Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha was also present during the event.
- The Defence Minister also visited an exhibition by the Indian Army at the occasion.
- The Indian army, On October 27, 1947 was air-lifted by the Indian Air Force and landed at the Budgam Airport to evict the Pakistani backed Tribal invaders from J&K, a day after the ‘Instrument of Accession’ was signed between Maharaja Hari Singh and the Republic of India.
- 27th October is also observed by the Indian Army as ‘Infantry Day’.
- It was on this day in 1947 that Infantry-men from the Indian Army became the first troops to land at Srinagar airport and repel the first attack on Indian soil, in Kashmir Valley.
- Speaking on the occasion Rajnath Singh paid rich tribute to the courage and valour of the first Param Vir Chakra recipient, Major Somnath Sharma, who despite being injured led a company & saved the Srinagar airfield.
- This enabled the Indian to land its forces in Jammu and Kashmir and saved the state from falling into Pakistan’s hand.
- He also paid glowing tributes to the bravery of other Gallantry award winners such as Brigadier Rajinder Singh and Lt Col Dewan Ranjit Rai, who gave away their lives to protect the motherland.