Lausanne Diamond League: Olympic champion and javelin thrower Neeraj Chopra recently created history by winning the Lausanne Diamond League.
- He has become the first Indian to win the Lausanne Diamond League with a best throw of 89.08m.
- Before him, discus thrower Vikas Gowda is the only Indian to finish in the top three in the Diamond League.
- His throw of 89.08m was the third best effort of his career, followed by his second throw of 85.18m
- The 24-year-old-boy from Haryana has thus qualified for the Diamond League Finals, which will take place in Zurich, Switzerland from September 7 and 8.
- He has also now qualified for the 2023 World Championships.
- In July 2022, Chopra had also created a historic moment for India by becoming only the second Indian after Anju Bobby George (2003) and first male track and field athlete to win a medal in the World Championships by bagging silver in the javelin throw final.
Tokyo Olympics silver medalist Jakub Vadlejch finished second with a best throw of 85.88m, followed by USA’s Curtis Thompson was third with a best effort of 83.72m.