National Statistics Day 2022: National Statistics Day is celebrated every year on 29th June to mark the birth anniversary of Prasanta Chandra Mahalanobis, an Indian scientist and statistician.
- This year, National Statistics Day 2022 marks the 129th birth anniversary of Prof Prasanta Chandra Mahalanobis.
- The Statistics Day 2022 is also being celebrated as a part of a week-long celebration in the Ministry, from June 27 to July 3, in commemoration of Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav (AKAM), an initiative of the Government.
Theme for National Statistics Day 2022:
The theme for this year’s celebration is ‘Data for Sustainable Development’.
The importance of this year's theme:
- The analysis of data is crucial currently in order to draw a conclusion.
- However, in the modern era, there is also a need for sustainable development to maintain a balance between all the variables of life.
- In order to predict and make informed judgments, data analysis is required.
- If used responsibly, new data sources, technology, and analytical methods—such as satellite data—can enable swifter, effective, and evidence-based decision-making, as well as more accurately and fairly gauge progress toward the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- Additionally, this would help in gaining real-time insights into people’s well-being and in focusing humanitarian initiatives on vulnerable populations.
- The theme for the celebration would follow intensive and narrowly targeted conversations about filling the data gaps and improving data collection, processing, and dissemination.
- Ministry of Statistics and Programme( MOSPI) commemorates National Statistics Day at the National level.
- The main objective behind celebrating Statistics Day is the creation of public awareness, especially among the younger generation, on the role and importance of statistics in socio-economic planning and policy formulation for the development of the country.
Note: The world observes World Statistics Day on October 20, every five years.
- India celebrated the first National Statistics Day on 29th June 2007.
- The Indian Government decided to designate 29th June i.e., the birth date of Prof. P C Mahalanobis as National Statistics Day.
- On June 5th, 2007, the Indian Gazette initially published a notification about this.
National Statistics Day 2022: Significance
- The National Statistics Day is observed to create public awareness, especially in the younger generation to draw inspiration from Professor Mahalanobis about the role and importance of statistics in socio-economic planning and policy formulation.
- The Prof PC Mahalanobis National Award was created by to recognize the outstanding contribution through high-quality research in the field of applied and theoretical statistics benefiting the official statistical system.
- The names of the winners of Prof PC Mahalanobis National Award in Official Statistics are also announced on this day.
About Prof. Prasanta Chandra Mahalanobis:
- Professor Prasanta Chandra Mahalanobis (29 June 1893– 28 June 1972), who was called ‘PCM’ by his colleagues, was a noted Indian scientist and applied statistician.
- He is also known as the Father of Indian Statistics.
- He introduced the Mahalanobis distance, a statistical measure, and random sampling.
- He was also one of the members of the first Planning Commission of India.
- He played a key role in shaping the first 5-year plan.
- He was instrumental in designing the way surveys are conducted today.
- He introduced the concept of pilot surveys and advocated the importance of sampling methods.
- He made pioneering studies in anthropometry in India.
- He also introduced a method for the estimation of crop yields using statistical sampling.
- Prof. Mahalanobis, in 1931 set up the Indian Statistical Institute (ISI) in Kolkata.
- It was declared an autonomous “Institute of National Importance” through an act of Parliament in 1959, and also celebrates June 29 as the “Worker Day”.
When is National Statistics day celebrated?
A) June 27
B) June 28
C) June 29
D) June 30