21-year-old Lakshya Sen, 19th in the badminton rankings, beat Li Shi Feng, the reigning All England champion, to clinch Canada Open.
This was also Lakshya Sen’s second BWF Super 500 title after the India Open in January last year.
PV Sindhu was eliminated after losing to eventual champion Akane Yamaguchi of Japan in the women’s singles semi-finals on Saturday.
Indians have now won five BWF World Tour titles this year. Priyanshu Rajawat claimed the Orleans Masters in April, HS Prannoy bagged the Malaysia Masters in May and Satwiksairaj Rankireddy and Chirag Shetty won the Swiss Open in March and the Indonesia Open in June.
Canada Open in badminton is an international open held in Canada since 1957. From 2023 onwards, Canada Open will be a Super 500 tournament.
- Lakshya Sen won the men's singles title at the Canada Open 2023
- Lakshya defeated All England champion Li Shi Feng in the final
- Lakshya's victory in Canada Open marks his second BWF World Tour title
- The Lakshya Sen became the Commonwealth Games champion in August 2022.
- Lakshya Sen was bestowed with Arjuna Award for badminton in November 2022