NITI Aayog’s India Innovation Index: The Third edition of the India Innovation Index was recently released by NITI Aayog Vice Chairman Suman Bery at an event in the NITI Bhawan.
- The India Innovation Index 2022 was released on 21 July 2022 in the presence of Dr. V K Saraswat, Member; Shri Parameswaran Iyer, Chief Executive Officer and other esteemed dignitaries.
- The India Innovation Index 2021 provides state-wise rankings on the basis of innovation landscape and performance of states and union territories in India
- The first edition was released in October 2019 and second in January 2021.
Key Features of India Innovation Index 2021:
- The India Innovation Index 2021 is set against the backdrop of the pandemic, which has disrupted the global demographic landscape.
- It examines innovation capacities and ecosystems at the sub-national level and highlights the recent factors and catalysts for promoting such crisis-driven innovation.
- The third edition has been prepared on the basis of Global Innovation Index (GII), which is published by World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), on annual basis.
- It is based on 7 pillars viz., human capital, investment, business environment, safety & legal environment, knowledge workers, knowledge output, and knowledge diffusion.
- It provides a more comprehensive outlook to measure innovation performance across country based on 66 new & unique indicators, as opposed to 36 indicators in India Innovation Index 2020.
- The states and the union territories have been divided into 17 ‘Major States’, 10 ‘North-East and Hill States’, and 9 ‘Union Territories and City States’, for effectively comparing their performance.
- A special section has also been introduced in the India Innovation Index 2021 for showcasing the detailed analysis of the drivers of innovation, by evaluating the improvement in the indicators.
- The states can assess their position and the factors that led to a change in their ranking vis-à-vis that in the India Innovation Index 2020.
According to the Index released -
- Manipur (Score 18.01) secured the lead in the Northeast and Hill States category.
- Chandigarh (Score 27.88) was the top performer in the Union Territories and City States category.
- Karnataka (Score 18.01) has topped Niti Aayog's India Innovation Index 2022 among major states.
- The report attributed Karnataka's high score to its peak performance in attracting FDI, or foreign direct investment, and a large number of venture capital deals.
- Telangana, Haryana and Maharashtra stood second, third and fourth in the list of top states.
What is India Innovation Index?
- The India Innovation Index is prepared by NITI Aayog and the Institute for Competitiveness.
- It is a comprehensive tool for the evaluation and development of the country’s innovation ecosystem.
- The index ranks states and union territories on their innovation performance to encourage healthy competition between them.
- The number of indicators in the index has increased from 36 to 66.
- They are now distributed across 16 sub-pillars and 7 key pillars.
The 7 pillars are –
- Human capital,
- Business environment,
- Safety & legal environment,
- Knowledge workers,
- Knowledge output, and
- Knowledge diffusion.
Which state has topped Niti Aayog's India Innovation Index 2022 among major states?
A) Tamil Nadu