Young Indian Grandmaster R Praggnanandhaa, 16 year old, defeated China's Wei Yi by 2.5-1.5 to book a spot in the semifinals of the Meltwater Champions Chess Tour Chessable Masters 2022 online tournament.
Who is R Praggnanandhaa?
- Rameshbabu Praggnanandhaa, the boy genius who became chess Grandmaster at 12, hails from Padi, an industrial township in west Chennai.
- His father K Rameshbabu is a bank employee.
- Praggnanandhaa has travelled to more than 30 countries during his young chess career.
Chessable Masters 2022 online touranament status
- The 16-year-old Praggnanandhaa will take on Netherlands Anish Giri in the semifinals.
- World No.1 Magnus Carlsen will take on China's Ding Liren in the other semifinal clash.
- Praggnanandhaa had created a stir earlier in the preliminary phase by beating Carlsen in the sixth round is to be noted.
- The two other Indian players, P Harikrishna and Gujrathi in the 16-player field, finished outside the top 8 and failed to make the cut for the knockout bracket.