Amrit Sarovar: Union Minister for Minority Affairs Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi and Swatantra Dev Singh, Uttar Pradesh Jal Shakti Minister inaugurated India’s first Amrit Sarovar (pond) in Rampur, Uttar Pradesh on May 13, 2022.
- Amrit Sarovar at Rampur’s Gram Panchayat Patwai has been constructed under the inspiration of Prime Minister Narendra Modi and the guidance of the Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh Yogi Adityanath.
- The participation and cooperation of the common people, villagers and District Administration also played an important role in the opening of India’s first Amrit Sarovar in Uttar Pradesh.
- In just a few weeks, a pond that had previously been clogged with garbage in Rampur was cleaned and revived.
Amrit Sarovar Initiative:
- PM Modi launched a new initiative named Mission Amrit Sarovar on 24th April 2022 with a view to conserving water for the future.
- As part of the Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav, 75 water bodies will be developed and rejuvenated as part of the Amrit Sarovar initiative.
- PM Modi had given a call for every district to have 75 ponds (Amrit Sarovar) during the 75th anniversary of India's independence, described as "Azadi Ka Amrit Kaal", to give a boost to water conservation and the environment.
- He had emphasized water conservation in the country saying it is critical to the country’s prosperity and also namechecked Patwai in his 88th monthly radio address, ‘Mann ki Baat’.
- The pond will not only help in protecting the environment and conserving water but will also be an attraction for people of the nearby areas.
- Besides the food court, fountains, lighting and other amusements, boating has also been made available there.