Manufacturing sector currently comprises 17% of the nation’s GDP and over 27.3 million workers.
According to Hardeep Singh Puri, Minister of Petroleum & Natural Gas and Housing & Urban Affairs, India is ready and keen to increase the share of manufacturing to 25% by 2025.
Referring to the strong industrial base of India, the Union Minister highlighted that India is
- Second-largest producer of steel
- Second-largest producer of cement
- Second-largest producer of coal.
Talking about the infrastructure, the country has
- Second-largest construction of built environment
- Fourth-largest railway network
- Second-largest road network.
Noting about the automobile industry the Minister said that India is
- Largest producer of two-wheelers
- Fourth-largest producer of four-wheelers.