CWG 2022-Lawn Bowls: The Indian Lawn Bowls team has scripted history by clinching gold in the women's fours final at Birmingham Commonwealth Games 2022 on August 2, 2022.
- This is India's first medal in the sport.
- The Indian lawn bowls team - Lovely Choubey, Pinki Chaudhary, Nayanmoni Saikia and Rupa Rani Tirkey defeated South Africa by 17-10 in the final of the women's fours event after 15 ends.
- They have become the first Indian athletes in CWG history to win a gold medal in the sport.
About Lawn Bowls Game:
- Lawn bowls, also known as lawn bowling, is an outdoor sport.
- It is a mix of ten-pin bowling and curling winter sport.
- It is one of the oldest sports at the quadrennial Commonwealth Games competition.
- It has been a Commonwealth Games sport since the inaugural edition of the event's precursor, the 1930 British Empire Games.
- It consists of a ball (known as a bowl) that is rolled toward a smaller stationary ball, called a 'jack'.
- The bowls are also called 'woods' as they were originally made of wood, but are now made with composite plastic as it helps the bowls last longer.
- Also, lawn bowls are not perfectly round as their one side will be slightly bigger than the other, this is known as the 'bias'.
- The sport is generally played on a flat lawn, about 40–42 yards (37–38 metres).
- The main objective in lawn bowl is to roll one's bowl in such a manner that it comes to rest near to a smaller ball, which is known as jack or 'kitty'.
- The bowls needed to be rolled on the floor from a distance.
How is lawn bowl played?
- The lawn bowl is a team sport that begins with a coin toss.
- The toss winner takes the first turn while the other team rolls the small ball called the 'jack ‘towards the opposite end.
- The jack needs to travel at least 23m.
- The distance between the jack and starting point is decided with this roll at the start of the match.
- The two competitors will take turns bowling, trying to get their lawn bowl closer to the jack than any of their opponents.
- Points will be awarded for each bowl that reaches closest to the jack.
What are the different formats of lawn bowls?
- Lawn Bowls has four formats – singles, pairs, triples and fours.
- All the formats are named after the number of people in each team.
Rules of lawn bowls:
- A lawn Bowler has to roll their bowls from one end to the other with the aim of hitting or getting closest to the jack.
- In Lawn Bowl fours, each team will get 8 throws or rolls from one end to another.
- One end means completion of 1 round.
- The team with maximum number of points after 15 ends wins.
India’s previous record in Lawn bowls at CWG:
- India lawn bowls teams took part in 2010, 2014, and 2018 editions of the Commonwealth Games before the 2022 event.
- India has managed to reach the semi-finals just twice and has finished fourth on other occasions.