IND vs PAK - Asia Cup 2022: India, on 28th August 2022 defeated Pakistan by 5 wickets in the Asia Cup 2022 encounter in Dubai, United Arab Emirates (UAE).
• The match was played at the Dubai International Cricket Stadium.
• With this victory, India are not only sitting at the top of the Group A standings, but they also have got one foot in Super Four.
• India successfully completed the 148-run chase with two deliveries remaining.
• Hardik Pandya's unbeaten 33 runs from only 17 deliveries, while also picking up three wickets lifted India to victory in a thriller against Pakistan.
• Hardik Pandya also register his nation's ninth win over Pakistan in the Asia Cup.
• Bhuvneshwar Kumar was the most successful Indian bowler - picking up 4 wickets.
• Pakistan scored 147 runs after being asked to bat first by the Indian captain, Rohit Sharma.
About Asia Cup 2022:
• The Asia Cup 2022 is being played in the T20 format.
• It will be played in a double round-robin format followed by the final.
• This is the second time the tournament will be played in the shortest format.
• It was last held in the T20 format in Bangladesh in 2016, where India beat the host by eight wickets in the final.
• The tournament began in the UAE on August 27, 2022.
• UAE is hosting the tournament for the fourth time.
• Note: India has only hosted the tournament once in 1990-91 when it clinched its third title after beating Sri Lanka in the final in Kolkata.
• A total of 13 matches will take place during the tournament.
About Asia Cup:
• The Asian Cricket Council Asia Cup is a Men's One Day International and Twenty20 International Cricket Tournament played amongst Asian countries.
• In 1983, Asia Cup was established by Asian Cricket Council in 1983.
• The tournament was founded with an objective to promote goodwill between Asian countries. The tournament was originally scheduled to be held every two years.
• Now, it is being held every 2 years between ODI and T20I formats.
• The tournament has since had 14 editions - the last of them being in 2018 in UAE.
India's performance in Asia Cup:
• India is the most successful side in the tournament’s history with seven titles (1984, 1988, 1990-91, 1995, 2010, 2016, 2018).
o Sri Lanka is second on the list with five titles, followed by Pakistan with two titles.
o Sri Lanka is also the only team to feature in all 14 editions.