36th National Game 2022: Union Home Minister Amit Shah has launched the mascot and the anthem for the 36th National Games at Trans Stadia in Ahmedabad.
- The mascot is named ‘Savaj’ which means cub in Gujarati.
- The anthem for the national games is based on the theme of ‘Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat’.
- The Home Minister also launched the official website of the national games www.nationalgamesgujarat.in and the mobile App NGGujarat at the curtain raiser ceremony.
- The event also witnessed the closing of 11th Khel Mahakumbh.
- Winners of Khel Mahakumbh were given away prizes at the hands of Mr. Shah. Four Parathletics from Gujarat were also felicitated with Khel Pratibha awards on the occasion.
- It will be played in six cities of Gujarat namely Ahmedabad, Gandhinagar, Surat, Vadodara, Rajkot, and Bhavnagar.
- In line with the tagline “Sports for Unity”, a total of 36 sports will be held.
- This year, with an aim to promote indigenous sports in India, Yogasana and Mallakhamba has been added to the list.
- New Delhi will additionally host the track cycling event.
- An estimated 7,000 athletes from 28 states and eight union territories are expected to to take part in 36 disciplines, which comprise most of the traditional Olympic sports.
- The inaugural function will be held at the Narendra Modi stadium.
Last Edition of the National Games:
- Last edition of the National Games was organized in 2015, in Kerala.
- 2022 edition of the National Games is going to be held after a gap of seven years.
Sports Promotion in India:
- The Government of Indi (GoI) a has left no stone unturned to promote sports and sports persons in India.
- The budget allocated for the National Games 2014 was 866 crores.
- This year, the allocated budget for National Games 2022, it is increased to two thousand crores.
History of National Games:
- The first edition of the Indian Olympic Games took place in Lahore before the independence of India in 1924.
- Three consecutive editions of the Indian Olympic games was held in Lahore.
- In 1938 the 8th edition was held in Kolkata and where the name was changed to the National Games.
- The first National Games held after the Independence was in Lucknow, however, the first modern National Games along the lines of the Olympics was held in 1985 in New Delhi.
- The national games are aimed towards promoting and identifying the young talent of India in sports.
The National Games allow sports persons from different states to compete against each other in various disciplines hosted at the games.
Which two new games have been added in the 36th National Games?
A) Cricket and Mallakhamba
B) Yogasana and Mallakhamba
C) Yogasana and Ice skating
D) Ice skating and Cricket