Hawaii’s Kilauea volcano erupted again on January 5th, 2022. Kilauea volcano is one of the world’s most active volcanoes.
Webcam images show lava flow within the HalemaÊ»umaÊ»u crater in the volcano's summit caldera. The summit is inside Hawaii Volcanoes National Park on Hawaii's Big Island,
Kilauea and its larger neighbour Mauna Loa stopped erupting in December. Mauna Loa began erupting on 27 November after a pause of 38 years. It was for the first time in decades that two volcanoes were erupting in Hawaii side-by-side.
Both Kilauea and Mauna Loa stopped erupting at the same time on 14 December.
Kilauea's last eruption began in September 2021 and lasted 16 months.
The US Geological Survey said lava was flooding much of the Halema'uma'u crater crater at the volcano's summit, while clouding the skies with volcanic smog.
- Kilauea is one of five volcanoes on the island of Hawaii. Three of them are active.
- Kilauea has been in constant eruption for 35 years.
- Mauna Loa, the world's largest active volcano, began erupting on 27 November after a pause of 38 years.
- It was for the first time in decades that Kilauea and Mauna Loa were erupting in Hawaii side-by-side.
- Both Kilauea and Mauna Loa stopped erupting at the same time on 14 December.