Very Short-Range Air Defence System Missiles: Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO) recently conducted two successful test flights of very short-range Air Defence System missiles (VSHORADS).
- The missiles were launched from the ground-based portable launcher.
- The test flight was conducted at the Integrated Test Range in Chandipur, Odisha.
- To evaluate the weapon system's resilience under challenging circumstances, the missiles were tested against fast-moving aerial targets that were being challenged by numerous threats.
- The missiles were tested at distinct levels including short-range high-altitude operating targets, long-range medium altitude, low radar signatures with receding and crossing targets, and salvo launch with two missiles fired in fast succession.
Key Points of VSHORADS:
- The Very Short Range Air Defence System (VSHORADS) is a Man Portable Air Defence System (MANPAD).
- It has been designed and developed by DRDO in collaboration with Indian industry partners.
- The missile is designed to neutralize low-altitude aerial threats at short ranges.
- The design of the missile including the launcher has been highly optimized to ensure easy portability.
- The missile incorporates many novel technologies including miniaturized Reaction Control System (RCS) and integrated avionics, which has successfully proven during the tests.
- The missiles launched by DRDO are not only made to neutralize low altitude aerial threats at short ranges propelled by a dual thrust solid motor but also are equipped with the latest technologies to enhance the Armed Forces technologically.
- Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) is India's largest research organization.
- It was founded in 1958.
- It is headquartered in New Delhi, India.
- It is an agency under the Ministry of Defence, Government of India.
- It is charged with the military's research and development.
- It has a network of laboratories engaged in developing defence technologies covering various fields, like aeronautics, armaments, electronics, land combat engineering, life sciences, materials, missiles, and naval systems.
- The Minister currently responsible for DRDO is Rajnath Singh, Minister of Defence.
- Dr Samir V Kamat is the current chairman of DRDO and Secretary of the Department of Defence Research and Development.
Motto of DRDO: “Strength’s origin is in Science”.