Commonwealth Games 2022 India: Weightlifters have been the star performers for India at the 2022 Commonwealth Games so far.
Indian weightlifter Jeremy Lalrinnunga has created history by winning gold in the men's 67kg finals at the ongoing Commonwealth Games 2022 in Birmingham.
- He won the gold medal with a record-breaking combined lift of 300 kg.
This is India's second gold at Commonwealth Games 2022 after Mirabai Chanu and fifth overall.
- Chanu won the first gold for India with a combined lift of 201kg in the Women's 49kg weightlifting final.
- The Tokyo Olympic silver medalist created a new Commonwealth Games record by successfully lifting 88kg in her second attempt in the snatch round.
Bindyarani Devi won silver medal in the women's 55 kg weightlifting final.
- She lifted a total of 202 kilograms, 86 kilograms in the snatch round and registered a CWG record lift of 116 kilograms in the clean and jerk round finishing with just 1 kilogram less than Nigeria's gold medalist Adijat Olarinoye.
20-year-old Achinta Sheuli smashed the Games record by lifting a total of 313kg to win the gold medal in the men's 73kg category.
- Sheuli first broke the Games record twice in the Snatch round, lifting 140kg and 143kg.
- He then lifted 166kg and 170kg in the clean and jerk round to register a Games record for the overall weight.
India at ongoing Commonwealth Games 2022 Performances:
- Sanket Mahadev Sargar wins India's first medal (silver) in 55kg weightlifting
- Mirabai Chanu won India's first gold in 49kg weightlifting in CWG 2022
- Bindyarani Devi won silver in 55kg weightlifting
- Gururaja Poojary wins bronze in 61kg weightlifting.
- Achinta Sheuli smashed the Games record by lifting a total of 313kg to win the gold medal in the men's 73kg category.
Indian athletes won four medals on Day 2 of Commonwealth Games 2022 with the Indian weightlifting contingent bagging six medal of the Games.
About CWG 2022:
- The 22nd edition Commonwealth Games kickstarted off on 28 July 2022 with an opening ceremony at Edgbaston Stadium in Birmingham, England.
- It is officially known as XXII Commonwealth Games and will be held between 28 July and 8 August 2022.
- It is an 11 days long sports event.
- It covers about 19 sports.
- Participants from 72 nations are competing in the Commonwealth Games 2022.
- The motto of Commonwealth Games 2022 is "Sports for All".
- Women’s Cricket has newly been added in is new for women in Commonwealth Games 2022.
- The first Commonwealth Games were played on 1930.