World Masters Athletics Championships 2022: Bhagwani Devi has created history by winning a gold medal in 100 sprint.
- The 94-year-old won gold and 2 bronze for India at the World Masters Athletics championships 2022 in Tampere, Finland on July 10, 2022.
- She created history by winning a gold medal at the World Masters Athletics Championship 2022 in 100 sprint event with a timing of 24.74 seconds.
- She won a bronze medal in shot put as well.
- She had qualified to represent India at the World Masters Athletics Championships 2022 in Finland after she won three gold medals at the National Masters Athletics Championships, which was held earlier in Chennai.
- She had won three gold medals earlier as well in 100m race, shot put and javelin throw at the Delhi State Athletics Championship.
The Department of Sports under the Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports took to Twitter to congratulate the nonagenarian for her accomplishment.
World Masters Athletics Championships 2022:
- The World Masters Athletics (WMA) Championships 2022 is the 24th in a series of World Masters Athletics Outdoor Championships.
- The championships were held between June 29 and July 10, 2022 in Tampere, Finland.
- This edition was originally scheduled to be held between July 20 and August 1, 2020 in Toronto, Canada but was canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The WMA Championships 2022 is organized by World Masters Athletics (WMA) in coordination with a Local Organising Committee (LOC).
- It is the global governing body of the sport of athletics for athletes aged 35 years or above.
- The World Masters Athletics Championships include a full range of track and field events.