Bangladesh is holding the sixth international Indian Ocean Conference in the country’s capital Dhaka, on May 12. It is being attended by 150 delegates, including high-level representatives from 25 countries.
Theme of sixth international Indian Ocean Conference
The theme of this year’s conference is ‘Peace, Prosperity and Partnership for a Resilient Future’ due to the post-Covid situation and the ongoing Russia-Ukraine war.
Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina has inaugurated the conference. The event has been organised for the coastal countries of the Indian Ocean.
Delhi based The India Foundation is organising the conference with the Bangladesh Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
The Indian Ocean Conference (IOC) was started in 2016, and in the last six years, it has emerged as the “flagship consultative forum” for countries in the region over regional affairs.......
The Conference endeavours to bring critical states and principal maritime partners of the region together on a common platform to deliberate upon the prospects of regional cooperation for Security And Growth for All in the Region (SAGAR).
Indian Ocean Conference; A timeline
- The first edition of the Indian Ocean Conference was held in Singapore in 2016.
- The second IOC was hosted in 2017 in Colombo, Sri Lanka
- The third IOC was hosted in 2018 in Hanoi, Vietnam
- The fourth edition of IOC was hosted in Maldives in 2019
- The fifth edition of IOC was organised in 2021 in Abu Dhabi, UAE.